Cutest blog background

Thursday, January 31, 2013

Going for Christ- Part 1

This month I have been reading a book that was recommended by a friend, and then provided by the Lord. 
The book is called Radical by David Platt--Taking Back Your Faith From the American Dream.

It is a wonderful book, and has already changed my thinking and my life drastically! I am taking the book slow and mentally digesting each section I read. Yes, I said section, I can't even read a whole chapter at a time, there's so much to think about!

This past year I also read two other books entitled- Passion for the Heart of God by Zumwalt, and Not a Fan by Idleman. The recurring theme in all three books is that as a Christian, you are commanded to GO into the world and preach the gospel and to make disciples.

The other night as I was reading Radical, I started thinking about Acts 1:8-
"But ye shall receive power, after that the Holy Ghost is come upon you: and ye shall be witnesses unto me both in Jerusalem, and in all Judea, and in Samaria, and unto the uttermost parts of the earth."

All of my life, this verse has been taught as if it is "or" between the cities/countries, not "and". It's also been taught as if we all have a choice as to which one we're going to 'reach for Christ'. The other thing I noticed is that it is taught a lot of times that Jerusalem is your hometown.

Here's what the Lord revealed to me the other night-
First of all- It is "AND" throughout the whole verse. There is no option to choose one or the other, they are all part of the commandment.

Second- 

  • Jerusalem is not the hometown, because the disciples were all men of Galilee, not Jerusalem. (So don't think that just because you've moved cross-country you get out of serving!) I have come to believe Jerusalem is where you're at right now. The men that Jesus was addressing in Acts 1:8 were in Jerusalem. Christ was saying- don't wait until you get home, don't wait until a certain day. Get started NOW! 
  • ALL Judea- Judea was the country in which Jerusalem was and is located. I see this as Christ saying- don't stay in one place, spread out. Cover the whole country with the Gospel!
  • Samaria- I believe Samaria represents your enemies, and those who you feel to be inferior to you. In other words- those who you don't think deserve the Gospel.  It's the uncomfortable place to go. You see, historically, Samaria was a country full of half-breeds. The Jews would not have anything to do with Samaritans. By Christ saying go to Samaria, He is saying- humble yourself, they need the Gospel as well.
  • Uttermost Parts of the Earth- This is plain as can be. Jehovah's heart is for the entire world ("For God so loved the WORLD, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." John 3:16). If we call ourselves Christians, then that means we are to have a renewed mind and heart- the mind and heart of Christ. If Christ's heart is for the whole world, ours should be as well.
So, in a nutshell, we are all commanded to "GO" for Christ. So it's not a question of "Do I go?" It's a question of "How do I go?"

TO BE CONTINUED...

No comments:

Post a Comment